荊山極品 經典傳世 ｜ 公益文化 絕美藝術 ｜ 無私回饋 慈善社會
夏荊山，1923年生於山東濰坊。自幼習畫，師從知名畫家郭味蕖。1949年隨國民政府來台，先後追隨南亭法師、南懷瑾修行佛法。教授工筆畫，培育一批工筆書畫菁英。 1970年代，移居美國加州，其畫作〈竹林七賢圖〉受舊金山亞洲藝術博物館典藏。1990年代於北京創辦 「荊山書畫院」，並出資修復諸多知名古寺。2009年，發行《佛像典藏》畫冊，被譽為「造像版的大藏經」，奠定夏荊山在中華古典藝術與佛像繪畫的影響力。
Xia Jing Shan First Buddhist Art Maestro Across Centuries
Paintings archived in Beijing Palace Museum, National Museum of China,Asian Art Museum(SF)
Xia’s Masterpieces Endure for Generations, Philanthropic Culture Exquisite Art, Selfless Devotion to the Society
Born in Weifang, Shandong in 1923, Xia Jing Shan began learning Chinese calligraphy and panting at a young age, and was under the tutelage of renowned painter Guo Weiqu. Following his military platoon, Xia arrived in Taiwan in 1949. He followed the Nanting Master and Nan Huaiqi to practice Buddhism, teaching meticulous paintings and cultivating a batch of meticulous paintings.
Xia moved to the United States in 1970, Xia’s painting, ‘Seven Sages of Bamboo Grove’ is in the collection of the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco, USA. Xia founded the Jingshan College of Art in Beijing, and he also assisted with the restoration work at many distinguished Buddhist temples. In 2009, the album “Buddha Collection” was released. Known as the “Image-old Version of the Tripitaka”, it laid the influence of Xia Jingshan in Chinese painting art and Buddhist painting.
Buddha Archives-Xia Jing Shan’s Buddha Painting Exhibition, which opened on March 16th, 2010, in the Crystal Palace Hall of Beijing Palace Museum. His painting, Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, was collected by the museum. Xia’s artworks were also presented for the Los Angeles Fine Art Show: Historic & Traditional in January of 2012. In 2014, Xia founded the Xia Jing Shan Arts and Culture Foundation in Taiwan. The exhibition, Xia Jing Shan Art Exhibition, was presented from July 22nd to August 11th, 2018 at the National Museum of China in Beijing, with Xia’s paintings, ‘Bodhidharma’ and ‘Meditating Avalokiteśvara’, became a part of the museum’s permanent collection after the exhibition.
- 2018北京中國國家博物館「夏荊山藝術展」| 南京大學「荊山時代．Jing Shan Style：夏荊山書畫藝術展」
- 2012美國洛杉磯「洛杉磯美術展：歷史與傳統」 | 澳門「佛頂骨舍利睹禮大會」現場百幅真跡展覽
- 2010北京故宮內院延禧宮水晶館「佛像典藏：夏荊山佛像藝術展」| 廣東省廣州市大佛寺「夏荊山觀音佛像藝術畫展」
- 2009陜西省西安市法門寺「 佛畫大師夏荊山佛像藝術展」
- 2018National Museum of China, “Xia Jing Shan Art Exhibition”
Nanjing University Museum, “Jing Shan Style: Xia Jing Shan Art and Award Exhibition”
- 2017New Taipei City Library, “Jing Shan Arts & Literature: International Academic Conference & Exhibition of Xia Jing Shan’ s Painting and Calligraphy Art”
- 2016Tainan Wu Garden Art Center, “Xia Jing Shan Story House – International Art Exhibition”
- 2012Los Angeles, US, “Los Angeles Fine Art Show: Historic & Traditional”
Macau, Xia invited by the Macau Government to present over a hundred paintings at the “Buddha’ s Skull Relic Blessing Ceremony”
- 2010Crystal pavilion in Yanxi Palace of Beijing Palace Museum, “Xia Jing Shan’s Buddha Painting Exhibition”
Guangdong Province Dafo Temple, “Xia Jing Shan’s Guan Yin Painting Exhibition”
- 2009Famen Temple in Shaanxi Province, “Master of Buddhist Paintings: An Exhibition of Buddha Portraits by Xia Jing Shan”
- 2018中國國家博物館，〈達摩祖師〉、〈南方增長 天王〉、〈西方廣目天王〉、〈寒山拾得〉、〈松鶴延年〉、〈萬事如意〉、〈遊春圖〉、〈桃李夜宴〉、〈達摩〉、〈靜慮觀音〉。
- 1970Asian Art Museum of San Francisco, ‘Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove’
- 2010Beijing Palace Museum, ‘Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara’
- 2018National Museum of China, ‘Bodhidharma’, ‘Virūḍhaka’ , ‘Virūpākṣa’, ‘Hanshan and Shide ’, ‘Live as Long as the Pine and Crane ’ , ‘All is Well ’ , ‘Spring Outing ’ , ‘The Spring Evening Banquet at the Peach and Pear Blossom Garden ’ , ‘Avalokiteśvara ’
- 2018Nanjing University, ‘Drinking tea under the tree’
About Xia Jing Shan Arts and Culture Foundation
Taipei-Nanjing-London, three cities working collaboratively on promoting Xia's aesthetic.
“Jing Shan Classic, Culture and Creative Arts Award”, an international and interdisciplinary competition that encourages the essence of traditional culture for future innovative design.
The Xia Jing Shan Arts and Culture Foundation was founded by Xia Jing Shan on the first day of the year 2014, with Dr. Chao, Chung-Chieh serving as the foundation’s CEO. Dr. Chao, who has professional experience in non-profit operations, leads the foundation in a non-profit and philanthropy-oriented direction, organizing various activities including academic exchanges and studies, exhibitions, aiming to provide opportunities for the general public to see the vast Chinese cultural essence embodied in Xia’s artworks and the aesthetical depth demonstrated by his exquisite art.
When the foundation was first established, exchanges were already engaged in international academic symposiums co-organized with the King’s College London, National Taiwan University of Arts, Nanjing University. The foundation began to transit its focus to the general public at the end of 2016 leading to 2017, with exhibition co-organized with various major institutions to present Xia’s prolific oeuvre to the audience. The 1st Jing Shan Classic, Cultural and Creative Arts Awards was held in 2017, strengthening the foundation of the cultural and creative industries. The scale of the award was expanded in 2018, and collaborate with the Nanjing University. In the same year, “Jing Shan Academy” was launched with the School of Fine Art, Nanjing University. In 2019, the foundation moves forward to jointly present “Jing Shan Art Salon” with SOAS, University of London to promote Xia’s aesthetics across Asia and Europe, establishing the significant Buddhist and Chinese art studies in the 21st century.